April 07, 2008

baby socks


baby socks
Originally uploaded by O'Chica

These were for the baby girl of the lady who works at my daughter's pediatric doctors' office. She is one of few people who knows my daughter was a small baby.
At 6 lb 2 oz, my baby was completely healthy and came in full due, but small enough to make a new mom nervous. She caught up very fast, hit in the right middle of "average" area in growth curve at 2 month check-up and have been staying there since.

When I heard about the always kind and smiling receptionist's maternity leave, I wanted to send her something special. I had to be very quick, because her due date was coming in 10 days. I breathed deeply (twice), and went to nearby Michael's to get the finest baby yarn I could get. I had the pattern. I had one full week to finish it, for my daughter's flu shot was scheduled one week later. I wasn't so sure that I could do it, because I have not finished even a single pair of socks yet. Not a single pair of booty. I don't know even until this day why it had to be a footwear, I just set myself to it.

My yarn was not fine enough as the direction says, and my friend had a single ball of very fine cotton yarn, which I can use. I thanked her very deeply, and casted on.
It wasn't a piece'o'cake, but it wasn't as difficult as I had been afraid of.

I didn't make it before the baby girl came, because although I finished them in time, she came 2 days earlier before I brought it to the office. The present was taken when they visited the office for 7 days check-up.
The baby who received these is now 18 months old.
I have knit more than 20 pairs of adult and toddler size socks since then.

No comments: