February 28, 2009

DIY?

Most of my inherited yarns don't have any yardage info on the label, or don't have any label at the first place.  It might be the time I get a yardage meter, but I can't find it anywhere inside Japan yet, in person nor online.  I looked around fishing shops, too.  No luck.  I thought about buying one from Nancy's Knit Knacks or Paradise Fibers, but got a second thought.

I, can't buy any yarn.  Not for now that I got six skeins of sock yarn from Jimmy Beans Wool along with Norah Gaughan booklets.  Oh, let me make an excuse - these are early birthday present for myself, and I ordered it before I got Mom's yarns. 
Anyway, now that I can't buy any yarns, I just have to order just one single yardage meter overseas.  It is going to make me sad to ignore the goodies and all (read as "yarn").  I don't want to be sad.

Next thing I thought was to make one by myself.  I found a good instruction.  I seriously am thinking of it, but looks like it's going to take a while to gather up what I need.

So, I turned to a simple physics and math.  I measured out 10 meters of fingering yarn and put it on a kitchen scale.  It comes back and forth between 2 and 3 grams, so I'll call it 2.5 grams. That means, 100grams of that yarn goes 400 meters.  Not bad for an estimate, because the label says "100g = 420 m". 

I'll get a small and precise scale.  That will be way versatile than a yardage meter.
Did I ever mention I am Alton Brown fan?  Yeah, I hate a unitasker.

No comments: