December 22, 2008

Mittens mittens all the way

At mom's hospital, waiting for her surgery done, I was knitting a liner for this;
Casquette front
Yarn; tweed yarn from Avril Sanjo's bargain bin (840 JPY per skein - one skein made this)
Pattern; Casquette (キャスケット) by Clover Japan
Needle; US 7 circular needle

I love it.  My husband likes it.  My daughter says "mom, you're super cool and cute!".  I think I have to make one for each of them.

Yesterday, waiting between the visits to ICU, I finished the second mitten;
blue mitten with butterfly
Pattern; Annemor #2 in Selbuvotter by Terri Shea, with butterfly pattern from Butterfly Sock by Coriander and a little bit of flowers and veins added to make the stranding easier
Yarn; Knitpicks Essential (colorway; Gulfstream - blue) 20g and Kanebo Cattleya (colorway; 280 -pink) 14g
Needle; US 0 DPN (Brittany 5 inch - love this stuff)

Now I officially declare that I love mitten knitting.  Not gloves.  Before finishing these two, I had finished this;
swatch Selbu #1 done
Pattern; Annemor #7 in Selbuvotter by Terry Shea
Yarn; Ski yarn chu-boso, 1002 (natural white) 40g and 1003 (black) 26g
Needle; US 1 1/2 (2.50mm) DPN (Knitpicks Harmony DPNs.  I never regret buying the set.)

- and don't want to knit those fingers for a while.  One thumb per one mitten is OK.  Maybe I can do one or two fingers, but not four, and only one or two fingered glove surely looks stupid.  Artiodactyl Mitten?  NO.

I am trying out chu-boso (compatible to fingering weight in US standard) yarns from Japanese yarn manufacturer, a couple of them, to find out "my favorite, go-to yarn" in Japan.  I am not just knitting a swatch or two.  I will make mittens from the book above, Selbuvotter.

And before that, I have to make one fingerless pair because I made a promise to make a pair of these for my sister.
Mosaic Mitt
Pattern; Mosaic Mitts by Sandy Cushman, in Interweave Knits 2006 Holiday issue
Yarn; Knitpicks Essential, Navy, Pumpkin and Tuscany Multi
Needle; US 1 1/2 (2.50mm) circs - magic loop, if I remember correctly

My mother is recovering very well, to start talking yesterday afternoon.  So happy that I went ABC craft at Tennoji to get yarns for my sis's mitts and brim liner for my casquette, after I left the hospital late afternoon.

I have four mittens on my "next" list, thinking of it.  Two from Selbuvotter, one for my sis, and SpilliJane's lovely Heather's Mittens Pattern.  Looks like I never get sick of fingering yarn knitting.

1 comment:

Twisted Knitter said...

I love all the beautiful knits - the colorwork is amazing and your Casquette is beautiful and practical!

It's great news to hear your mom is recovering well - my thoughts go out to her and you!